My name is Jonathan Byron. I have over 15 years experience developing effective English skills, including students in Australia, Europe and the UK. I take great pride in my students’ accomplishments, and their success is my success. I make it my job to focus on the individual needs of each student – with comprehensive and easy to understand lessons, no matter the student’s academic level.
I hold a BA of Education, a Cert 4 of TESOL and I’m currently finishing my Master’s in Literary and Cultural Studies. When I am not teaching English, I am a writer – therefore, English is my main focus and is an integral part of my daily life.
Some of my key-strengths include: patience, tailored lesson plans, the ability to quickly discern my students’ needs, clear focus, diverse range of teaching methodologies, years of experience, motivation and excellent listening skills.
Some of the greatest obstacles for students to overcome is a lack of self-confidence and motivation. Quite often, students can feel overwhelmed and uninspired – wondering: “How on earth can I finish my assignments or achieve my word count in time?” I believe my role as a tutor is to inspire my students. So I’d like to remind you that, English can be liberating, and it is an art form. Therefore, a person’s English ability can not be fabricated; it takes a degree of hard work and motivation on the part of both the student and the teacher. It is an academic relationship built on trust, knowledge, inspiration and insight.
To quote Kofi Annan …“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.”
- IELTS preparation for both General and Academic
- Primary and Secondary students (VCE exam prep and general study)
- Professional pronunciation training, including: listening, speaking, articulation, intonation and accent reduction
- Business & Cambridge English for corporate environments (one-on-one and group)
- ESL / EAL training in comprehension, grammar, reading and writing
- Essay writing, report writing, academic writing, persuasive & analysis writing
- Proof reading and editing of thesis and academic papers
- Narrative structure and creative writing
- Structured homework assignments and lesson plans to meet individual students needs
- Contract lesson plans with individuals and classes
- Tutoring ESL for international exchange students
I believe in intensive, supportive and needs-focused lesson plans to encourage confidence, structure and rapid improvement. It takes a degree of inspiration to learn something new, and so I create tailored and inclusive lesson plans, that are both enjoyable and of high curriculum standards. I enjoy watching the progress of my students develop over our lessons together and I’m a firm believer in structured homework with weekly reviews – whilst incorporating TESOL teaching methods. I teach one-on-one and online lessons, and I am also available to teach group classes.